• Advertisement
Future Catfishingpro.com Member

CatfishingPro.com does not support alternative methods of catfishing. Jugging,Limblining,Trotlining,Noodling,Paylake Fishing
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you access to view most discussions.. By joining our free catfishing community, you will have full access to all our catfishing forums, ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content,create your own catfish picture gallery and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please,
join our community today
! Any issues please contact us

limb line

Talk about Flathead Catfishing

Share |

limb line

Postby flats1975 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:45 pm

I have limb lined uncharted water( but i know it now like the back of my hand) to find out what was there ( never left unattended over night ) , I have many nice spots doing this over night . The next weekend would go to the spot with rod and reel , and produce good flatheads , I fish on a river that is small (100 feet at most across but average 50 ) and this is a great way to find them . I use a black heavy duty bungie cord to take up the shock or pvc tubes that i fill in with expand foam in case it gets pulled out it will float , Wanna know if anyone out there does the same
PRACTICE C. P. R.
flats1975
CFPro
CFPro

Have thanks: 0 time
Primary Waters Fished: rivers
Name: michael

Re: limb line

Postby erichigley » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:40 pm

no i dont. i wont use limb, set or trot lines. most of the fun of flathead fishing is the hunt. once you know flatheads finding them in any water is farely easy, getting them to bite sometimes isnt. i enjoy spending the day with a partner running up and down the river exploring spots and brain storming with him/her tryn to figure out what the cats will be doing and the best spots to hit at various times threw the night, we rate them on depth, cover, current and why they would be there. i target the biggest cats in the stretch. if i set a set line in that area the cat would already be caught on a rig that isnt a challenge to retrive. big flatheads are territorial, were you find a big one, rarely you will find another. small flatties will hold in the same hole at times tho, but im not after small ones.
erichigley
CFPro
CFPro

Primary Waters Fished: indiana and michigan rivers
Name: eric
Personal Best Catfish: 56 lb flathead, 28 lb channel

Postby smoothkip » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:47 pm

Well said man! I too don't use any alternative methods to catch cats. Like you said finding the fish is half the fun!
Bottom Dwellers Tackle ProStaff
Driftmaster Rod Holder ProStaff
smoothkip
CFPro
CFPro

Primary Waters Fished: Muskingum River
Name: Kip
Personal Best Catfish: 69# Bluecat 50# Flathead

Postby Dreadnaught » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:57 pm

The title alone threw up a red flag for me!!!!

I think that today people are willing to try anything to cut corners and, get a jump on something they are after. I for one do not agree with this approach to flathead fishing. You are jumping over the basics of the chase. Learn the area and, learn to read the river (structure, drops, riffles and what they mean to a flathead). Once you do that, your successes will be more rewarding than you could immagine!!! Stop and smell the roses along the path to your destination!!!
I Do Not Need Anger Management,
People Just Need to Know When to Shut Up

Sarcasm is the body's natural Defense against Stupid!!!
Dreadnaught
CFPro
CFPro

Primary Waters Fished: Ohio River and, Green River
Name: JW

Postby little2rude » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:42 pm

Dreadnaught wrote:The title alone threw up a red flag for me!!!!

I think that today people are willing to try anything to cut corners and, get a jump on something they are after. I for one do not agree with this approach to flathead fishing. You are jumping over the basics of the chase. Learn the area and, learn to read the river (structure, drops, riffles and what they mean to a flathead). Once you do that, your successes will be more rewarding than you could immagine!!! Stop and smell the roses along the path to your destination!!!

i agree 100% !!!! i feel limb lining or trout lining is harvesting not fishing !!!

wheres the thrill and fun in that
live rite/fish hard
little2rude

Postby Kurtis » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:36 am

As far as I am conserned there is nothing sports man like in trot or limb lines. And I think it does nothing but hurt our fisheries. Not to metion all the fish that end up in pay ponds that way.
Bottom Dwellers Tackle Pro Staff
Drift Master Rod Holders Pro Staff
Kurtis
CFPro Veteran Member
CFPro Veteran Member

Have thanks: 62 times
Primary Waters Fished: Rivers
Name: Hettinger

Postby erichigley » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:31 pm

i agree with everyone here. he asked if any of us use set/limb lines to locate flatheads in a stretch. that we do not and as you can see we are against the use of them. im sure your a responsible catfisherman and used this as a tool to locate. most catmen associate them as tools for "meat" fisherman for catching alot of cats for food or profit. we release ALL our big cats and only keep a couple small ones for a meal or two. i just dont want all these posts to sound like we are ganging up on you or bashing you in any way. you came here seeking info and you came to the right place. good luck bud
erichigley
CFPro
CFPro

Primary Waters Fished: indiana and michigan rivers
Name: eric
Personal Best Catfish: 56 lb flathead, 28 lb channel

Postby Kurtis » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:02 pm

I don't want to bash anyone person. And if it seems that way I apologise. But the practise of limb or trot lining is a black eye on the sport of catfishing. There was a time back years ago when a man did anything that was necessary to put food on the table. And anyone that has to use these methods to do so today has a pass in my book. But just to resort to useing them to catch the most or the biggest cats out of a section of water is reprehensible. The thought of a catfish (especialy one that you plan on releaseing) spending hours strugling against a limb makes me sad. Because anyone that fishes for any kind of fish knows that you have to be as gentle and quick as possible to get them back in the water heathy. As a tournament fisherman I have spent a good bit of money and time on my live well just to keep any fish I weight in as happy and heathy as possible. So far I have not lost a single fish.

I'll get off of my soap box now, sorry I do tend to run on at times.
Bottom Dwellers Tackle Pro Staff
Drift Master Rod Holders Pro Staff
Kurtis
CFPro Veteran Member
CFPro Veteran Member

Have thanks: 62 times
Primary Waters Fished: Rivers
Name: Hettinger

Postby river scum » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:14 pm

i set limb lines sometimes for that reason. usually set them out on my way up river then retreve them on the way back through. like you said its a great search tool to locate productive spots.

he never said he set them to rape the river guys, god,lighten up! lmao
river scum

Postby Dreadnaught » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:54 pm

river scum wrote:i set limb lines sometimes for that reason. usually set them out on my way up river then retreve them on the way back through. like you said its a great search tool to locate productive spots.

he never said he set them to rape the river guys, god,lighten up! lmao

have limb lined uncharted water( but i know it now like the back of my hand) to find out what was there ( never left unattended over night ) , I have many nice spots doing this over night . The next weekend would go to the spot with rod and reel , and produce good flatheads , I fish on a river that is small (100 feet at most across but average 50 ) and this is a great way to find them . I use a black heavy duty bungie cord to take up the shock or pvc tubes that i fill in with expand foam in case it gets pulled out it will float , Wanna know if anyone out there does the same

Where in his post did he say he released them??? I don't think ever said he didn't either!!!
I Do Not Need Anger Management,
People Just Need to Know When to Shut Up

Sarcasm is the body's natural Defense against Stupid!!!
Dreadnaught
CFPro
CFPro

Primary Waters Fished: Ohio River and, Green River
Name: JW

Next

• Advertisement

Return to Flathead Catfishing