• Advertisement
Future Catfishingpro.com Member

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you access to view most discussions.. By joining our free catfishing community, you will have full access to all our catfishing forums, ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content,create your own catfish picture gallery and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please,
join our community today
! Any issues please contact us

Shakespeare Ugly Stik "TIGER" Rod Review

Catfishing Tech Articles,,,,,,, Some cool catfishing HOW-TO's

Share |

Shakespeare Ugly Stik "TIGER" Rod Review

Postby admin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:11 pm

Every catfisherman has heard the name "Ugly Stik" at some point in time. They have been a favorite to catfish anglers for a long time and well known as "unbreakable". Shakespeare has many types and sizes of ugly stik rods to choose from but they all share one thing in common,,, the blank construction.

One of the most popular Ugly Stik's to Catfishermen is the Ugly Stik "TIGER"

In 1985 Shakespeare introduced the new Ugly Stik Tiger rods. Tigers come in a variety of line and lure weights, actions are,,, med light, medium, medium heavy, lengths are 6.6 7.0 and 8.0 , one piece and two piece models.

Tigers come with Fugi graphite reel seats with stainless steel hoods, EVA foam handles with three different styles of end Caps. Blank through handle design. Double footed Stainless steel guides. The length of the handle is absolutely perfect for fighting big cats.

Shown above Top is the stainless steel guides the Tigers use, no inserts. What makes these guides strong is the bridge support brace that holds the bottom of the ring and the double foot.
Above bottom is the 7'0" med action 2 piece Tiger with an Abu Garcia 6500c3 reel.

Ugly Stik Tiger blanks are made using the, patented Howald process. This process basically builds TWO different types of blanks into one. The inner blank and an outer blank. The inner blank is made from spiral wrapped graphite fibers giving the rod sensitivety and the well known fighting power of the ugly stik. The outer blank is more of a layer of longitudinal E-Glass fibres. These combined give the Ugly Stik its flexibility and strength.

Listed are all the Ugly Stik Tiger Models along with each models specs;
Model # Length Pcs Handle Action Lb.Test Lure Wt. Oz. Guides
BWS 2200 70 7'0" 1 B ML 12-30 1/2-4 6 + Tip
BWS 2201 70 7'0" 1 B M 20-50 3/4-6 6 + Tip
BWS 2201-2 70 7'0" 2 B M 10-50 1/2-6 6 + Tip
BWC 2201 66 6'6" 1 B M 15-40 3/4-6 7 + Tip
BWC 2200 70 7'0" 1 C ML 12-30 1/2-4 8 + Tip
BWC 2201 70 7'0" 1 B M 20-50 3/4-6 8 + Tip
BWC 2201-2 70 7'0" 2 B M 10-50 1/2-6 7 + Tip
BWC 2202 70 7'0" 1 B MH 30-60 3/4-8 8 + Tip
BWCA/O2201 70 7'0" 1 B M 20-50 3/4-6 8 + Tip
BWCA/O2202 70 7'0" 1 B MH 30-60 3/4-8 8 + Tip
BWD220080 8'0" 2 A ML 12-30 1-4 8 + Tip

My flathead rods are the 7'0" 1 piece Med Heavy action rods. This model is a very stout rod with a fast tip, and can handle all the abuse you can give it. Great for pulling flatheads out of snags.

The 7'0" 2piece med action Tiger is another great rod that could be used for a variety of different fish. This Model has great castability, nice soft tip, but still has the backbone and strength to bring in a monster cat.
All the Ugly Stik Tiger models are great rods for the money and each model has its own purpose.At about $55 bux a rod and a 60-day/5-year limited warranty it would be hard to beat this rod.

Check out these links for more info on a great Catfishing rod;

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/
http://www.catfishconnection.com/
http://www.cabelas.com/
Catfishingpro.com Founder
admin
Founder
Founder

Have thanks: 20 times
Primary Waters Fished: Wabash River, Ohio River
Name: Josh
Personal Best Catfish: 53lb Flathead

Re: Shakespeare Ugly Stik "TIGER" Rod Review

Postby Scubadan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:51 pm

I have one of these in a 2 piece medium action and i absolutely love it. It has a soft enough tip to fish for small channels but you dont have to worry about getting a big one on there. This rod will handle it it is a little more pricey but still not too bad if you think about the stress we put on our rods it is nice to know you have less of a chance of it breaking on you.
If it can be caught I wanna catch it.
Scubadan
CFPro
CFPro

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby smoke14 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:13 pm

have seen these poles and they are very nice.. well worth the money....
WWW.bottomdwellerstackle.com pro staff
driftmaster rod holder pro staff
smoke14
Netboy!
Netboy!

Primary Waters Fished: Any where there is a Catfish
Name: Kris
Personal Best Catfish: 30#FLATHEAD20#BLUE19.7#CHANNEL

Postby bowhunter63 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:20 pm

I got one of there catfish ugly stixs from catfish connection with the glow tip and white blank.I use it for channel cat fishing.Great rod ,those tigers look like great flathead rods.Im gonna order some from catfish connection a great place to order from.Great service.Thanks for showing the pics of the rod.
bowhunter63
CFPro
CFPro

Primary Waters Fished: James river,Stockton,lake of the Ozarks
Name: Scott

Postby blackhorse » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:12 pm

Doing the rod thing for over 30 years I've seen a ton of rods, the tiger rods and the Cat Max are some of the better production rods on the market. They are glass rods and there is nothing wrong with that, the only thing I don't like is the guide spacing on them. As with any production rod they put them in the same place on all they build. Rods are each an induvidule and every one is some what different for all others, and I understand that when building millions of them they take the average of all and use those distances for spacing. Over all they are good. I rebuilt 2 in the last month for a guy in Indy and I have people that buy them new and send them to me to change the guides to stainless before they ever put a reel on them, that in itself says something for the blanks. I'm not trying to step on toes here just trying to supply information.
blackhorse
CFPro
CFPro

Primary Waters Fished: Mississippi river Missouri river

Postby Ictalurus farcatus » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:23 pm

Great article! I recently switched all my poles out to the 6'6 ugly still tigers. I found that the 6'6 have great action in the tip but have the backbone to get the job done. I also lie the fact it's a one piece. They're also a great rod when you're on a budget. My next step up would be blackhorse.
Ictalurus farcatus

Primary Waters Fished: LaSalle Lake IL, Rock River IL

Postby bobbybobber » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:18 am

i love these rods,have 3 of them 1 is the 7' one piece med casting rod witha tidewater 30l and the 2 other are the7' 1 piece med/heavy's got abu 9000 on one and a abu 10000.i also got a ugly stick charter boat rod that 6'6'' rate 20/50 with abu7000ic3 as far as cat rods goes there are hard to beat
real trophies are made of bone,beards,fur and fins
bobbybobber
CFPro
CFPro

Have thanks: 2 times
Primary Waters Fished: potomac river,shenandoah river
Personal Best Catfish: 63lb blue 26lb channel

Postby catfshrebel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:34 am

Was at a Sportsmans Warehouse and they had the tiger rods but the eyes had inserts, are these older tiger rods?
catfshrebel

Primary Waters Fished: river

Postby BigDav » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:26 am

catfshrebel wrote:Was at a Sportsmans Warehouse and they had the tiger rods but the eyes had inserts, are these older tiger rods?

Nope, those are the version with the aluminum-oxide inserts and they still make them. I have had several of them for years and I have had no issue with the inserts. These are the only inserts I have ever owned that I haven't had problems with. I would prefer the solid stainless eyes but I wouldn't pass up a good deal on them with the inserts. They actually retail for more with the inserts and the inserts are popular for halibut fishing and other bottom fishing in the north west. The rod model numbers are the same as the stainless version except it will end in (AO).
Click Image for link:
BigDav
CFPro
CFPro

Primary Waters Fished: James River
Name: David
Personal Best Catfish: 82 lb Blue Catfish

Postby catfshrebel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:37 am

BigDav wrote:
catfshrebel wrote:Was at a Sportsmans Warehouse and they had the tiger rods but the eyes had inserts, are these older tiger rods?

Nope, those are the version with the aluminum-oxide inserts and they still make them. I have had several of them for years and I have had no issue with the inserts. These are the only inserts I have ever owned that I haven't had problems with. I would prefer the solid stainless eyes but I wouldn't pass up a good deal on them with the inserts. They actually retail for more with the inserts and the inserts are popular for halibut fishing and other bottom fishing in the north west. The rod model numbers are the same as the stainless version except it will end in (AO).
cool thanks Dave!
catfshrebel

Primary Waters Fished: river

Next

• Advertisement

Return to Tech Articles